Tuesday, July 15, 2014

How I Met Fletcher Long

Fletcher and I first met in 2006, shortly after Charlie Sizemore, a personal injury attorney and the former lead singer with the Ralph Stanley Band, rear-ended me in Madison, Tennessee.

“I sure would like to represent you for this wreck Carlos,” Charlie said as we rode to a local body shop in the cab of the wrecker together, “but if I did, I guess I would have to sue myself.”

“Charlie, I'm not going to hire a lawyer for this,” I replied, “I've never needed a lawyer to settle a claim from a wreck.”

“Carlos, you didn't hear this from me, “ Charlie said. “But you need to get a lawyer. These insurance companies are mean, nowadays.”



Charlie and I developed a friendship, and when I called Charlie a few days after the accident, I was needing an attorney, for another matter. I called Charlie,and asked him who the meanest, nastiest, “junkyard dog,” in Nashville, Tennessee, was, when it came to attorneys.

“If I needed somebody like that, I would call Fletcher Long,” Charlie said without hesitating. “He's tough, man. And, when he gets somebody on the witness stand, he will tear them up.”

I remember thinking that, “Fletcher Long,” was a great name for a lawyer.

I thanked Charlie, and after we finished talking, I dialed the number he gave me for Fletcher. To my surprise, Fletcher answered his own phone. His voice was loud and almost obnoxious sounding. He's perfect, I thought. He sounds like the biggest asshole I've talked to in a long time.

“Yes, I can help you,” Fletcher said, after I had explained what I needed him for. “When can you come in?”

I was about to leave for a short vacation, so I set a day and time after I was scheduled to return.
While on vacation, I tried to settle the claim for the accident with State Farm insurance. I quickly learned that Charlie was right. At first, State Farm didn't even want to pay for my vehicle; let alone the medical bills. As a result, when I returned from vacation, I found myself needing a lawyer for two matters, instead of one.

When I met with Fletcher, he was something else. If he is half as good as he acts like, I've got the right man, I thought.

“I need somebody to represent me against State Farm for the wreck where Charlie ran in to to me too, Fletcher, I said. “But I don't feel right hiring you to do that, unless
Charlie is okay with it. He referred me to you for this other matter, so I'm not going to use you to sue his insurance company until I clear it with him.”

Fletcher picked up his desk phone, pressed the speakerphone button and dialed a number.
“Law office.” a woman's voice said.
“Charlie Sizemore, please.” Fletcher said, “This is Fletcher Long, calling.”

“This is Charlie,” Charlie, said a few seconds later.

“Charlie, this is Fletcher Long. I'm sitting here with Carlos Jenkins. Do you mind if I sue you?”

I laughed out loud. His guy doesn't have a set of balls; he IS a set of balls, I thought.

Fletcher settled with State Farm on my behalf, for forty three thousand dollars.

And through that process, I found one of the most loyal, kind, loving friends, I could ever hope to have.

But wait! There's more. Ten years after that fateful day with Charlie Sizemore, I needed Fletcher's services again. And Fletcher agreed to help me, even though he knew full well that I couldn't afford to pay him anything. Fletcher worked just as hard and sent his partner John Herbison, a legend in Nashville when it comes to the practice of the law, to represent my wife and I in court. Not once, nor twice, but three or four times.

That's the thing about Fletcher that stands out to me, as much or more than anything else. Fletcher doesn't judge or condemn anyone based on who they are or what they have. Fletcher Long believes that everyone is created equal and endowed by our Creator, with certain unalienable rights. I've never seen him treat anyone badly. If it were up to me, I would replace the Statue of Liberty with a Statue of Fletcher Long. While Lady Liberty represents the ideals that the United States of America stands for, Fletcher lives them. Not only that, but he lives them much more on the behalf of others, than he does on his own behalf.

Shortly after finishing my first book of this type, I thought What the heck, I'm going to call Fletcher and see if he will let me write a book about him. I really didn't expect him to say yes. After all he is Fletcher Long, as much of a celebrity as any attorney that I know of and a much bigger name than Carlos Jenkins. Yes, Fletcher realizes that he is a big name. And, for the most part, he enjoys being a big name. He just doesn't think that makes him better than me, or you or anyone else.

“Lets do it” said Fletcher.

Two years later, here it is. I can't wait to get started on Volume Two.


No comments:

Post a Comment